Ok ok, this isn’t the traditional way to do it…. I completely understand.
But let’s be honest, sometimes a little tweaking and inspiration can be good. I didn’t stray too far from tradition but I do love this version. It little bit of bacon, a little bit of pancetta, a little bit of wine….
I find all of these additions to make this classic meal a real treat.
Pasta alla Carbonara (my way!)
A very tasty way to make a classic dish!
- 1 pack rigatoni
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup pancetta or guanciale, sliced
- 100 mL white wine
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Black Pepper for garnish
- Cook butter, olive oil and garlic together until butter is melted on medium heat.
- Add in your bacon and cook for 2 mins. Add in your guanciale or pancetta and cook together until translucent and crispy. (About 4-5 mins; be careful it cooks quickly!).
- Add your wine and cook another 3-4mins. Remove the garlic then turn off the heat.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together your eggs and parmigiano.
- Cook your pasta according to directions. Grab 1/4 cup of pasta water and add it to the cheese mix and stir.
- Drain the pasta (reserve more water), add it to the bacon mix with a small ladle of pasta water. Stir well.
- Add the cheese mixture and stir together until creamy. Add the nutmeg and stir again.
- Top it off with extra cheese and black pepper.
Leave a Reply